A good car camping stove does not need to be complex to be great. It must be portable, lightweight, easy to use, above all, can cook, boil and grill very fast.
*The products in this post are affiliate products, which means if you chose to buy one after following a link on this website, I make a small commission at absolutely zero cost to yourself. You can read more about this process on our disclosure page.
We have selected the best camping stoves available on the market based on the features listed above. If you are planning to go on car camping with your family or you alone, below is the list of stoves you can make a choice from.
Best Camping Stoves – Details
- Stansport Outfitter Series Camp Stove
- Camp Chef Everest 2 Burner Stove
- Coleman Triton 2 Burner Camp Stove
- Coleman Even Temp Stove
- Volcano Grills 3-Fuel Portable Camp Stove
- Jetboil Minimo Camping Stove
- Coleman Fold N GO Propane Stove
- Hero Grill System – Best Charcoal burning stove
- Gas One GS-3000
- Hike Crew 2-in-1 Gas Camp Stove
1. Stansport Outfitter Series – Camp Stove
One thing that sets the Stansport apart is the high cooking power. It has a combined cooking power of 60,000 BTU, two large burners of 25,000 BTU each, and one small burner of 10,000 BTU. You can fry, grill, and steam at the same time.
Stansport Outfitter Series is made up of an oversized steel frame, extra heavy-duty cooking grate, and stainless steel drip pan. All of this makes it very durable and easy to clean. Also, the attached windscreens make for faster and easier cooking no matter the weather condition or your location.
Another interesting feature that makes the best camping stoves is the piezo electronic ignition. This means you will not need to carry matches along or end up eating cold food. Just switch it on and the flame is up and you can cook, bake, roast, boil water and enjoy your meal!
Also, it features a high-pressure regulator for even heating and fast cooking. This is connected to a standard disposable portable propane canister with the included adapter. The latches should be covered securely during travel.
Before deciding to buy this product, consider carefully its pros and cons as listed below:
- Two powerful oversize burners that pump out 25,000 BTU and a smaller 10,000 BTU burner at the center.
- Piezo electronic ignition.
- Oversized steel frame.
- High altitude pressure regulator and temperature control nob.
- Stainless steel drip pan for easy cleanup.
- The regulator may be defective, usually a manufacturing problem but can be fixed easily.
- The feet may not be level so try on multiple positions or use builders to balance them.
- The middle burner may be sliding and not level, this could be due to a loose screw that needs to be tightened.
2. Camp Chef Everest 2 Burner Stove
This camp stove has a total output of 40,000 BTU making it very powerful and your cooking faster. With the separate burner control, you can boil your noodles and slowly warm your sauce at the same time. These 20,000 BTU powerful burners can fight windy conditions, with the help of 3-sided wind barriers.
Camp Chef Everest 2 Burner Stove comes with a stainless steel drip pan which makes it easy to clean. Being lightweight and compact, with a convenient carry handle makes it easy to take with you to camp. You definitely would not want a stove that will require the whole family to carry to the car!
A matchless piezo igniter fires up the stove quickly and easily with just a push of the button. This saves you from the disappointment of a wet match or the worry of burning your hand.
The Camp Chef Everest 2 Burner Stove is also emergency preparedness recommended.
Moreover, the nickel-coated steel grate is strong and can hold your pots, griddles, and skillets. This contributes to its durability, especially with good maintenance practice. The product has a limited one-year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
Below are the pros and cons of the Camp Chef Everest 2 Burner camping stoves:
- Two 20,000 BTU burners cook fast and withstand windy conditions.
- Three-sided wind barrier.
- Matchless ignition ensures a quick light up.
- it is emergency preparedness recommended.
- Folds down to a compact size with a convenient carry handle.
- Plastic lid latches may break if handled carelessly or opened aggressively.
- The handle may not be comfortable but you can fold the metal edge to make it comfortable.
- Inconsistent pressure leading to burners being too hot, this could be due to leakage or valve problem.
3. Coleman Triton 2 Burner Camping Stove
Coleman Triton 2 burner propane stove is one of the best camping stoves taking camp cooking to the next level. Two independently adjustable burners once lighted up burns with a total of 22,000 BTU making cooking faster. This 2 burner camp stove employs perfect heat technology for more efficient cooking with less fuel.
The stove has wind protection panels, which helps to shield burners from wind and can be adjusted for various pan sizes. And the perfect flow technology provides consistent performance even in extreme conditions. You will not need to stop your cooking due to bad weather. You can cook at a low or high or in-between flame.
Additionally, this camping stove is large enough for one 12 and 10 inches pan plus room to stow the griddle. This makes it suitable for cooking for a large number of people. The chrome-plated grate can be removed for simple and quick cleanup, and the heavy-duty latch secures the lid.
Here are the pros and cons of the Coleman Triton camping stoves:
- Wind block panels help to protect burners from wind.
- Burners are independently adjustable.
- PerfectHeat technology for more efficient cooking with less fuel.
- PerfectFlow technology provides consistent performance no matter the weather condition.
- Over 22,000 BTUs of cooking power.
- No igniter, this means you must have a lighter or matches to use it.
- Burners not responding to heat adjustment dial thereby burning too hot, this may be due to a faulty valve that requires wiping.
- The regulator may be defective and not seat correctly with the stove, but this can be repaired.
WARNING: This product contains lead and other chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer. Wash your hands after touching this product and do not put your hands in your mouth immediately after handling.
4. Coleman Even Temp Propane Stove
This is a 3-burner portable propane camping stove that fits two 12 inch pans or three 8 inch pans. You can cook a variety of meals at the same time. The 3 burners can be adjusted to radiate heat evenly across the stove for consistent performance.
Also, the Coleman Even Temp propane camp stove is designed with non-skid feet. They provide stability so you can easily stir pots and pans without fear of pouring out their contents. Setting up a car camp kitchen can be frustrating with stove feet that skid.
These propane stoves have pressure control and fuel efficiency technologies that ensure consistent performance outdoors. This means you can expect steady heat even in cold weather or high altitudes. This is also the case even when the fuel is low.
Another highlight of this product that makes it the best camping stove is the matchless ignition technology. It uses an electric spark to light up the burners with the push of a button. In other words, you do not need to pack matches or carry a lighter.
Consider below the pros and cons of this product to help you make your purchase decision:
- Even temp burners, which eliminates hot spots.
- Inststart matchless ignition.
- Non-skid feet provide stability when stirring.
- Perfectflow technology keeps the heat steady in extreme conditions.
- Side panels shield burners from wind and fold down for use as side tables on calmer days.
- The plastic button used for the lid may be faulty, but it is not what you cannot fix.
- The regulator may not adjust well for low heat, however, this is not always the case.
- The grate has thin chrome plating making it prone to rust, so always clean after use.
- Portable propane stove fits two 12 inch pans or three 8 inch pans at once for variety of meals
5. Volcano Grills 3-Fuel Portable Camping Stove
The Volcano Grills 3-Fuel portable stove is the best camping stove in the market today in terms of versatility. It combines a great variety of cooking options – grill, Dutch oven, wok, bake, roast, fry, fire pit. And the tri-fuel capability adds to its popularity.
It can be used with wood, charcoal, and propane – connects to adapters for portable bottles sold separately.
If you are looking for a very portable camping stove, then you have nothing to worry about. The Volcano collapses down to 5 inches and is easily carried in the included storage bag. The set-up time is in seconds and is also easy to clean.
Another good thing about the Volcano camping stove is that it is safe and efficient. It efficiently uses wood and charcoal to pump out 19,500 BTU through the burner. The heat released from the bottom is not much, so it can be used on a wooden base.
One owner in online research said: “Using this stove as a prepper, with a Dutch oven makes a lot of sense.” According to the user, it fulfills the 3 requirements every prepper should be looking for:
- Minimal fuel use
- Minimal cooking smell
- Easy concealment
To help you make an informed decision, consider the pros and cons of the Volcano Grills 3-fuel portable camping stove:
- It is versatile; grill, Dutch oven, wok, bake, roast, fry, fire pit.
- Useful for emergency preparedness.
- Safe and efficient, with burner power up to 19,500.
- Tri-fuel – wood, charcoal, and propane
- When using propane, it radiates heat unevenly and is very hot so use a stronger diffuser plate.
- It is prone to rust as it is made of iron, so keep away from moisture or you can oil it.
- 3-Fuels: Propane, Charcoal, or Wood (connects to standard 20 pound propane tank, or adapter for portable bottles sold separately)
6. Jetboil Minimo Camping Stove
The Jetboil MiniMo camping stove is simply precision cooking made easy. It features a reliable push-button and is regulated for consistent performance down to minus six degrees Celsius. Also, the 1-liter cooking cup features an insulated cozy and metal handle for easy outdoor cooking and eating.
Portable and most camping stoves are powered by FluxRing technology. In sunlight, it reaches a rolling boil in just two minutes with half the fuel consumption of other stoves. The FluxRing cooking pot is optimized for a low spoon angle thereby making the MiniMo perfect for personal use.
Among the best camping stoves, it is unbeatable in simmer control with a single burner. It allows for four full turns of the spindle for incremental adjustment of fuel flow with consistent heat output. This gives you from a light simmer to a rolling boil.
The Jetboil MiniMo’s capabilities can be expanded by adding a pot support, 1.5-liter FluxRing pot, and a Summit Skillet. These are sold separately and are needed when cooking for a group of campers. Interestingly this expansion does not sacrifice the efficiency of the Jetboil MiniMo camping stove.
The following are the pros and cons of the single burner – Jetboil MiniMo camping stove:
- The 1-liter FluxRing cooking cup features an insulated cozy for fast cooking.
- The metal handle makes for easier cooking and eating experience.
- It features an unbeatable simmer control and push-button igniter.
- It is regulated for consistent performance down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-6 degrees Celsius).
- The bottom cover doubles as a measuring cup and bowl.
- The igniter system can easily malfunction, so be careful with the wire at the base of the burner.
- It can only serve one or two persons except you repeat cooking to serve more persons.
- Powered by FluxRing technology, the MiniMo reaches a rolling boil in just over two minutes with half the fuel consumption of traditional systems.
7. Coleman Fold N GO Propane Stove
This camping stove is Amazon’s choice for Coleman propane camp stove. It is a portable 2-burner propane stove ideal for your car camping kitchen. The folding design and built-in handle are for easier carriage, storage, and extra-portability.
The full-size cooking surface of the stove easily fits two 10-inch pans, at the same time. With this, you can prepare different dishes or cook for a group of campers. Why not consider getting this stove for your next family camping?
Another interesting highlight of the Fold N Go stove is the pressure-control technology. This technology delivers consistent heat in all outdoor conditions. Add to this is the matchless ignition which requires just the push of a button, no match, or lighter is needed.
It produces up to 20,000 BTUs of heat across the two independent burners, giving you enough cooking power. Perfect heat technology ensures efficient fuel usage that allows this stove to run over an hour on one 16-4 oz. cylinder. And for durability, it is outfitted with an aluminized steel cooktop that resists rusting.
Below are the pros and cons of the Coleman Fold N Go propane stove:
- It folds up compactly for easy storage and transportation.
- The aluminized cooktop makes it durable and rust-resistant.
- The two adjustable 10,000 BTU burners fit two 10-in. pans at the same time
- Last more than one hour with both burners on high on one 16-oz. propane cylinder (sold separately)
- It comes with durable, chrome-plated grates that are removable for easy cleaning.
- It has built-in handles for easier carrying and extra portability.
- It has no wind guards, so devise one or buy spatter guards from Amazon.
- The flame control knobs may not function for low heat so remove your wind guards when simmering.
- Portable 2-burner propane stove ideal for cooking at campsites, picnics, and more
8. Hero Grill System – Best Charcoal burning stove
The HERO Grill System was designed to be the easiest compact portable charcoal grill on the market and includes a rugged carry case and bamboo cutting board.
Innovative HERO Charcoal Pods capture the mess of grilling and provide a convenient way to pack up when grilling on an adventure.
All tools need to pack up into the thoughtfully designed carry case, including the charcoal pods. No lighter fluid or starters are needed. And now, with the convenient HERO Briquets sleeves, it’s super easy to take grilling on the go and re-use your HERO Charcoal pods.
The more charcoal you add, the hotter your grill gets. The eco-friendly and instant light HERO Charcoal Briquets are ready in 10 minutes. Patented.
- PORTABLE CHARCOAL GRILL KIT: Simplistic design meets rugged portability with the HERO Charcoal Grill Kit. Weighing less than 10 pounds and collapsible to the size of a standard laptop, HERO is perfect...
9. Gas One GS-3000
The Gas One GS-3000 is lightweight and versatile, this model is great as a small camp stove or an extra emergency burner.
Gas One GS-3000 is Sleek, powerful, and lightweight, with a smooth metal body and enamel-coated drip pan, our stove ensures an easy and enjoyable cooking experience.
This butane single-burner doesn’t boil water the fastest and lacks wind protection, but it does have excellent simmer control, and its weight and compactness make up for its lack of flame size and cooking speed.
After cooking the drip pan lifts off the stove for simple cleaning and you can take this anywhere with you for any camping trip to have some good food. It is a perfect fit for your camping gear, emergency gear, or even a small barbecue!
It has a self-igniting mechanism; with just a push of a button you get the stove working. Therefore, you don’t need a box of matches to cook or eat warm food on the campground.
Below are the pros and cons of the Gas One GS-3000 camp stoves:
- Fun and interactive
- Creates heat and ambiance
- No need to buy fuel
- Low smoke
- It boils water slowly and time consuming
- It can be hard to find butane canisters.
- There is No wind screen
- Burn through lots of fuel cans (lots of waste)
- Fuel Type: 8 oz. Butane canister. Portable, Easy to use, reliable for camping or home emergency kit (fuel sold separately)
10. Hike Crew 2-in-1 Gas Camping Stove
This elegant Swedish design-inspired, two-burner stove is the choice of aspiring chefs who enjoy practicing their trade in the great outdoors. This gas stove has the capacity to cook five-star meals but is light and compact to easily take anywhere.
Gives a kitchen-like cooking experience at any basecamp with this elegant wood-trimmed 2 burner stove. The dual burner allows cooking multiple pots at different temperatures.
It has a self-igniting mechanism; with just a push of a button you get the stove working. Therefore, you don’t need a box of matches to cook or eat warm food on the campground.
In cold weather or windy conditions, the lid and side windscreens ensure steady cooking. The cool convertible design provides chefs with plenty of protection against the elements Including a 3-sided windshield with security clips. Removable pot supports and stainless steel drip tray for easy cleaning.
Among the two-burner stoves hike crew’s unit weighs only 12 pounds & breaks down to the size of a slim 24”x13”x4” briefcase with a handle for travel.
Below are the pros and cons of the hiking crew 2-in-1 gas – the best camping stoves:
- Easy to clean
- Foldable legs
- Push button ignition
- Auto ignition
- Wind resistance
- Non-stick griddle plate
- Small cooking surface
- COOK ANYTHING IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS | Powerful Propane-Powered 2-in-1 Grill Features a 10,000 BTU Single Burner Cooktop & 3,000 BTU Griddle for Amazing Outdoor Cooking Convenience | Perfect for...
Shopping Guide: Things to Know for Best Camping Stoves
A reliable stove is an absolute must on any multi-day adventures in the great outdoors. A hot, hearty, & nutritious meal is not only crucial for fuelling your intrepid exploits, but it’ll also boost your morale & keep your adventure spirits high.
After all, no one wants to be eating lukewarm on a rainy hillside. But, with so many options out there, how on earth do you choose the right camping stove for you? Here we cut through the jargon, outline some of the most important factors to consider, and highlight the best features to look out for in a camping stove.
This is a big consideration for many campers. If you’re off on a multi-day backpacking adventure you’ll want to keep things as light as possible – and a lightweight canister-top stove will be your best bet.
Camping Stove Boil Times and Burner Power Output
The power of a stove’s burner is measured in watts, usually ranging from about 2,000-4,000W, with 2,500W a good benchmark for three-season camping in the UK’s mountains. But, while these stats are useful to check, the effectiveness of a stove isn’t all about raw power.
Other factors including wind protection, heat exchange, and what pot you’re using will affect the all-around performance of camp stoves.
Some stoves include an in-built Piezo ignition button, a method for lighting a stove with an electric charge. This is really convenient and saves time fiddling around with matches on a wind-battered mountainside.
The igniters can be temperamental and if one breaks you’ll be slurping cold chicken tikka curry, so it’s always wise to carry spare matches or lighters.
The wind is the enemy of campsite cooking. It’ll blow your flame off course (if not out completely), lengthen boil times, and reduce fuel efficiency. The solution is some form of wind protection.
Most modern stoves feature a control valve for adjusting the strength of the flame. If you’ll be cooking more complicated meals that require simmering or low to medium heats a ‘regulated’ stove with precise flame adjustment will be beneficial.
For water boiling only, flame adjustment is far less important, because you’ll probably only end up using the max power setting anyway.
FAQs: Common Questions that people face while purchasing
Do I have to carry a matchbox every time?
No, you don’t need to carry a matchbox with you the propane stove has a self-igniting mechanism.
Can we connect multiple propane tanks?
While connecting multiple propane tanks is possible with a special adapter, it’s not recommended. Propane is highly flammable, and unless you have experience with combustibles, it may not be the best decision.
Choosing the Right Camp Stove and Accessories?
The whole process starts with the right equipment. It’s a good idea to practice at home to make sure everything works before heading out to your campsite.