Are you preparing to go camping or backpacking, and searching for the best cot for backpacking? Obviously, if you really want to have a memorable backpacking experience then you need the best camping gear.
In fact, for maximum relaxation during camping, you need a reliable cot. And reliable backpacking cot must be very light in weight, and very cheap or affordable.
That it must be very cheap or affordable does not in any way mean that it will not be durable, and it does not mean its comfort standard should be compromised.
The products in this post are affiliate products, which means if you chose to buy one after following a link on this website, I make a small commission at absolutely zero cost to yourself. You can read more about this process on our disclosure page.
Therefore, we have done the extensive work of picking 7 best backpacking cots that are affordable, lightweight, durable, safe with a very high score of ease of use.
Above all, all the cots on this list have encouraging customer reviews. In other words, they are rated highly by firsthand users’.
Without further ado, let’s dig deep into the features of every best backpacking cot found below
Best Cot For Backpacking – Details
- Helinox Cot One Lightweight Cot
- Therm-a-Rest Mesh Cot
- ALPS Mountaineering Ready Lite Cot
- KingCamp Ultralight Compact Cot
- DESERT WALKER Camping cots
- YAHILL Ultralight Folding Camping Cot
- MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Tent Camping Cot Bed
1. Helinox Cot One Lightweight Cot
This cot produced by Helinox is not just comfortable, it is portable and very compact. It is the perfect sleep solution for camping adventures which is why it has made our list of best backpacking cot.
The cot has an innovative lever-locking system that is able to support a maximum of 320 lbs without sagging.
This system also ensures that the user enjoys excellent surface tension while the sleepers are suspended up to 6.5 inches above the ground.
The legs of the Helinox Cot One are made of proprietary aluminum alloy, same for the frame of the cot. This ensures maximum weight savings while you enjoy comfort at the best levels possible.
The Helinox Cot One comes in two different sizes which are:
- Regular (27 x 75 inches, 6.5 x 21.5 inches when packed, and a weight of 5.4 lbs).
- Long (27 x 82.5 inches, 6.5 x 23 inches when packed, and a weight of 6.6 lbs).
You can purchase adjustable leg extensions separately to help raise the height of the cot to 15 inches. One of the major advantages of this cot is that it is very easy to setup. Also, the sleeping surface is designed to give you a firm feel.
- Sturdy design.
- Very easy to set up compared to its counterparts.
- When folded, it is very compact thus making it very portable.
- Lightweight as the name suggests.
- Rapid drying nylon sleeping surface.
- A great option for tall campers.
- The cot doesn’t sink into the ground because of the large foot caps.
- Quite pricey.
- Heavy if you are carrying it over a long distance.
- Not a great choice for cold-weather thus requiring extra insulation.
- Clearance beneath the cot is just six inches.
- Lightweight, compact, portable camping cot that offers an extra 7.5 inches more in length than the original Cot One
2. Therm-a-Rest Mesh Cot
If you are in search of a great off-the-ground cot, the Therm-a-Rest Mesh Cot is a great option. One of the reasons this cot makes our best cot for backpacking list is that you can use it on any surface. There is a 4.5-inch clearance between the cot and the ground which ensures you are fine no matter the surface.
Another major advantage of this cot is that you don’t need so much insulation. This is because there is space between the bed and the ground.
The Therm-a-Rest Mesh Cot is one of the most compact on the market, especially when folded. It is very easy to store as it hardly consumes space in your car or home.
As you can guess, packing this cot is also quite easy.
The company presents you with the patented BowFrame Tech in this cot. What does this mean?
It means there are no squeaky joints or painful crossbars. The poles are made of anodized aluminum while the feet are protected with durable nylon.
Another reason why you will love the Therm-a-Rest Mesh Cot is the breathable fabric that covers the sleeping surface. Because of this, you are assured of excellent ventilation while you sleep.
This cot comes in three different sizes making it easy to choose one that fits you properly. Check out the sizes below:
- Size R (72 x 24 x 4.5 inches, weight 3.9lbs)
- Size L (77 x 26 x 4.5 inches, weight 3.15lbs)
- XL Size (77 x 30 x 4.5 inches, weight 4.7lbs)
- Versatile design.
- Very comfortable.
- Stable construction.
- Small when packed.
- Not exactly easy to setup.
- Bow frame Technology: cot's patented bow frame design eliminates painful crossbars and squeaky joints
3. ALPS Mountaineering Ready Lite Cot
There are so many reasons why we had to add this cot to our list of best backpacking cot. When you mention the ALPS Mountaineering Ready Lite Cot, what comes to mind is portability. It is a bit surprising that a cot so large can be so portable when packed.
There are two categories of backpacking cots. The ALPS Mountaineering Ready Lite Cot falls into the lighter category that requires some form of assembly. Despite the fact that it is large, it can be assembled very easily in record time.
The size and weight of this cot make it clear that it is one of the most versatile on the market. Hikers and backpackers may consider the cot a bit heavy but the comfort that you’ll enjoy makes the weight worth it.
In view of this, we do not recommend the ALPS Mountaineering Ready Lite Cot for extended tours. However, it is perfect for short outdoor trips where you don’t have to attach it to the backpack while moving around.
If you are a motorbiker, going camping with your car, kayaking, etc. this cot is perfect for you. You can use it at summer camps, rock concerts, and open-air festivals.
Since it doesn’t take up much space, you can leave it your car for emergency purposes. This cot is also a great option for people with heavier body sizes.
It is very easy to set up and dismantle which is why many people are in love with it. Find the dimensions below:
- Size: L x W x H – 78 x 28 x 7.5 inches
- Weight: 5.25 lbs.
- Capacity: 300 lbs. maximum
- It comes with a carry bag.
- Large size cot making it suitable for heavy body individuals.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Very reliable.
- Versatile design.
- Nice packing.
- Very comfortable.
- Pricey option.
- Made of sturdy Ripstop fabric minimizing carry weight without sacrificing long term durability
4. KingCamp Ultralight Compact Cot
The Ultralight Compact Folding Camping Tent Cot by KingCamp makes our best cot for the backpacking list for a couple of reasons. Firstly, this bed is perfect for just about any camper, regardless of the location of your camp.
It doesn’t weigh so much so moving it from place to place is very easy. You will definitely find it easy to carry the cot on your back since it weighs only 4.9 lbs.
Despite the weight of this bed, it is still regarded as one of the best on the market in terms of quality. It has passed through all the necessary tests and user reviews have also shown that it is durable.
The Ultralight Compact Folding Camping Tent Cot by KingCamp is able to support as much as 265 lbs. This is why many people consider it a worthwhile purchase.
What’s more? This backpacking cot comes with its carrying bag provided by the manufacturer. Its rods are made of aluminum alloy which ensures that it is sturdy enough to handle your weight.
The cot comes in a variety of colors so you can decide on one to suit your personal theme or style. Many people are always worried about setting up their cots?
Well, with the Ultralight Compact Folding Camping Tent Cot, setup is done in a quick time. It is so easy, you can do it with your eyes closed.
- It comes with a storage bag which makes it easy to transport the cot from one location to another.
- Compact and ultralight design.
- Supports up to 265 lbs.
- Very easy to setup.
- Rods are made of aluminum alloy which ensures sturdiness and durability.
- May break easily if not well-handled.
- ¡ï¡¾Ultralight & Portable¡¿ Only 4. 9 lbs and packed Size: 14 ¡Á 5. 1 ¡Á 5. 1 inches, this camping cot is highly portable and space-saving! Wherever your adventure is, this smart light...
5. DESERT WALKER Camping cots
In case you wondering why the Desert Walker Camping cot makes our best backpacking cot, there are several reasons.
The first of these is the size in relation to the capacity of the cot. It is amazing that a cot with a weight of just 2.6 lbs. is able to carry up to 440 lbs.
Asides this, the bed becomes very small when you collapse it. This makes it possible to store it easily, even in very small spaces.
Setting up this cot is also very easy and requires just a few minutes of your time without any special tools.
If you are looking for a versatile cot, this is one of the most versatile on the market. You can carry it inside a backpack, attach it to a backpack, carried on a bike, in a car, and even in a kayak.
This makes the Desert Walker Camping cot perfect for hunters, hikers, and any kind of campers. Some of the activities you can engage in with this cot include travel, camping, cycling tours, open-air festivals, etc.
While there is so much to love about this bed, it is not great for tall people. If you are tall, you may want to look somewhere else.
Why many people love this cot so much is the fact that it comes at a great price in comparison to its counterparts. Check out a few of its specifications below:
- Weight: 2.6 lbs.
- Capacity: 440 lbs.
- Size: 73 x 23.5 x 6 inches
- It is the lightest cot on the market.
- Weight to capacity ratio is amazing.
- Very reliable.
- Very affordable when compared to its competitors.
- Shock-corded elements.
- Very versatile.
- Folds easily making it very mobile.
- Easy to setup.
- Not too large.
- It cannot cater for tall individuals.
6. YAHILL Ultralight Folding Camping Cot
The Ultralight Folding Camping Cot by Yahill is the latest addition to the collapsible cots produced by the company.
This is not why we have added it to our list of the best cot for backpacking, there are several other reasons. When you look at it at first glance, what attracts you are the extendable legs.
They were recently redesigned and are definitely worth looking at a couple of times. The fact that this cot is fully collapsible makes it a really interesting prospect to spend on.
When folded, it becomes very portable so it is easy to carry around. Setting up this cot presents you with no stress at all as you do not need any extra tools for the process.
The redesigned legs of this cot are not just attractive, they ensure that you have optimal support while resting.
This cot is really stable and the way the legs are set, there is a reduced risk of snapping. You have nothing to fear if you turn a lot while sleeping.
Another reason why the Ultralight Folding Camping Cot makes our list is the extendable height. Though it is not the first cot on this list to have this feature, it is still worth mentioning.
Of course, this feature comes at a little extra price, but if you want extra height, it is worth spending on. This bed has a capacity of up to 397 lbs. Some of the specifications include:
- Weight: 6.5 lbs.
- Capacity: 397 lbs.
- Dimensions: 74.8 x 25.6 x 7.5 inches
- Versatile design.
- Small packed size.
- Very affordable compared to its competitors.
- It comes with a durable carry bag.
- The craftsmanship is of professional quality.
- Not wide enough.
- 🛌★Super Lightweight & Portable- cots portable★ YAHILL 1st Generation cot camping bed weighs only 3.3lbs, but can hold up to 220 lbs.
7. MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Tent Camping Cot Bed
Are you wondering why the MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Tent Camping Cot Bed made our best cot for backpacking list? The reasons aren’t farfetched. For one, it comes at a great price compared to other backpacking cots on the market.
The beauty of this cot lies in the fact that its components are separate. This makes easier to collapse and assemble. This feature differentiates it from other folding cots on the market.
Another reason why this cot makes our list is its portability. You can attach this cot to a backpack and carry it around easily.
This means it is a great option for hikers, mountain climbers, and bikers. The only challenge is that it is a bit weightier than most of its counterparts.
You can use this bed as a make-shift emergency bed in the house. It can also be used to cater for friends of your children when they sleepover and for sudden guests. When folded, the MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Tent Camping Cot Bed doesn’t consume much space.
The fabric covering the sleeping surface is made of durable ripstop nylon. Also, the metal parts are made of aluminum.
Just like the other cots on this list, you need to assemble this cot. However, it doesn’t require any special skills or tools. All in all, this is a nicely built cot, though not unique, it ensures an amazing sleeping experience. Some of the specifications include:
- Weight: 4.7 lbs.
- Capacity: 300 lbs.
- Size: 74.8 x 27.4 x 6.5 inches
- Great price.
- Easy to setup.
- Very versatile.
- Reasonable size.
- Nicely packable.
- Not a great choice for tall individuals.
- Ultralight and Compact: Weighs only 4.8 pound, and folds down to 16.9 x 5.5 inch stuff sack that can fit into your travel backpack. Ideal for camper, trekker, hiker, backpacker, adventurer.
Best Cot for Backpacking – Wrap Up
You can’t go wrong with any of these best backpacking cots. They all have been tested and rated highly by firsthand users’. You will enjoy a high score of durability, ease of use, safety and comfort that come with any of them.
Above all, they are lightweight cots and affordable for campers on a tight budget.