During the last winter, some parts of my hometown plunged into darkness for a whole week.
Technicians took longer to repair the power lines and that meant that we could not watch TV, food went stale, we could not access internet and my daughter could not play PS because we did not have a backup energy source.
Without a doubt, electricity is an indispensable need in our daily lives. Emergencies and power outages disrupt our daily activities. Unless you are well prepared for these, be ready for constant disruptions during the winter.
But what is the solution to the unwanted power disruptions and outages?
Owning the best generator for camping of course. A portable generator for camping and Rving, but can also be used at home if the need occurs.
But, there are dozens of generators in the market today that vary in size, wattage, fuel type and different other factors.
Before settling on a particular generator, you need to have a need that you want to solve with the generator. For example, there are generators for homes, RVs, camping trips and backyard parties that vary in size. Before choosing the best portable generator, you need to ensure that it meets your criteria.
- You may also like: The best portable air compressor for RV tires
The products in this post are affiliate products, which means if you chose to buy one after following a link on this website, I make a small commission at absolutely zero cost to yourself. You can read more about this process on our disclosure page.
Factors to Consider when Buying a Portable Generator for Home Use or Outdoors
Even if your mind is set on getting that Honda or Yamada generator you saw on TV, take these factors into consideration when shopping for the ideal generator that fits your needs and budget:
Some of the generators start automatically once the power goes off. Therefore, is an advantage if you spend less time at home and you need some of the appliances to be functioning even in your absence. Most common feature in standby generators.
Most portable generators incorporate a push button as an alternative to the traditional pull-start for generators. Batteries are necessary for this feature to function. Some models include these battery cells while for others, you purchase them separately.
Solid Wheels and handle.
The wheels allow easy movement and transportation of the unit even when it is heavy. Most generators come with solid, never-flat wheels that should be attached when setting up the unit. Other models price the wheels separately, adding to the cost of the generator.
These features prevent damage to the generator. Safety features such as low-oil shutoff, circuit breaker, low oil indicator lamp and advance oil warning light safeguard the machine from getting damaged when running.
Some portable generators incorporate the inverter technology that provides clean power that will not damage sensitive appliances. Also, inverter portable generators are known to be quiet than other portable generators and an ideal option for camping trips.
The fuel gauge allows users to monitor fuel levels, especially during blackouts when you may be required to top-up the fuel tank.
Number of Power Outlets
Several power outlets allow users to distribute the wattage to several devices. Users should take caution not to overload the unit.
Type of Fuel
Portable generators use gasoline, propane, and gas. Dual fuel camping generators use either propane or gas.
Nobody wants a generator that will wake up the kids on early Saturday morning. Quiet generators are the best and can run in the background without disturbing your neighborhood.
Best Portable Generators for camping
- Westinghouse WGen7500 Generator
- DuroMax XP4400E Review
- Honda EU2000i Review
- Yamaha EF3000iSEB Review
- Champion Power Equipment 46539
- Generac 6866 iQ2000 Portable Inverter Gas Generator
- DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
- A-iPower SUA2000iV 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Champion 3400W Dual Fuel Inverter Generator
- WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
1. Westinghouse WGen7500 Generator- Best Generator for the Money
The Westinghouse WGen7500 is a machine from Westinghouse, one of the oldest and most reputable manufacturers of electronic products. Westinghouse portable camping generators are some of the most powerful, safe and reliable power systems in the market.
If you are looking for the best camping generator to power several circuits and meet your wattage needs, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is the best choice. With a run-time of up to 16 hours, the machine can be used for large outdoor events, RV appliances such as portable ice makers and even for a bad day during the winter.
The Westinghouse model is easy to operate, thanks to its simplified control panel. The unit has four standard household outlets and rubber covered GFCI outlets that are ready to power your home devices.
The high-efficiency overhead valve technology help in lowering fuel consumption and ensures the machine runs at low temperatures. The automatic voltage regulation system allow for reliable voltage control for demanding devices and applications.
The Westinghouse WH7500E Portable Generator has an all-steel construction and fully enclosed electrical connections to protect the machine from harsh weather conditions.
Features of the Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator
- Heavy duty 420 cc westinghouse 4-stroke OHV engine with an electric start, and automatic low oil shutdown.
- 9000 peak watts and 7500 starting watts during normal running conditions.
- Up to 16 hour up time on a 25% load.
- 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank.
- L14-30R 120/240VAC Twist Lock Power Outlet and two 5-20R 120V Power Outlets.
- Plug and Play mechanism- Includes oil, oil funnel, battery charger and tool kit to get started with minimal assembly required, remote start key fob and user manual.
- User-friendly Operator Control Panel.
- Easy to start through the Westinghouse One-touch Electric Start System.
- Voltage-regulating system.
- Quiet Operation (with Noise reduction Pulse-Flo muffler).
- The machine has a 3-year Limited Warranty.
The Box package includes:
- Remote Start Key Fob.
- 12V Battery Charger Oil.
- Tool Kit.
- Oil and oil funnel.
- Operating instructions manual
- Quiet generator (has a distinct Pulse-Flo Muffler that reduces the noise levels).
- Ease of use (the generator has an LCD screen that shows you the generator up time and allows users adjust generator settings).
- Voltage-regulating system.
- Fuel efficient.
- High running wattage.
- Durable engine and efficient alternator.
- Long product warranty – 3 years.
- A heavy machine (201 pounds).
Summary Westinghouse WGen7500 Review
The Westinghouse WGen7500 Portable Generator is an excellent choice for homes due to its unique features, durable engine, fuel- efficiency and quiet operation.
Also, the high running wattage and Westinghouse One-touch Electric start system make it a superior model. If you require a powerful and reliable camping generator, the Westinghouse WGen7500 is the Best Choice.
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 11 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
2. DuroMax XP4400E Review- Best Affordable Portable Generator
The DuroMax XP4400 portable generator is a compact, reasonably powerful and affordable machine for home use. The generator has a 7 HP OHV 4-Cycle gas-powered engine that has a running output of 3500 watts and 4400 watts surge power.
The DuroMax model includes two 120-volts 20-amps standard household outlets to power all your devices at home plus 120/240 volts; 30-amps twist lock to serve high powered tools. The 12-volt DC power output with leads serves as a charger for batteries rechargeable appliances such as phones or laptops. The 15-amps circuit breaker prevents overloads that may damage your devices.
The exclusive DuroMax RV Switch/ voltage selector allows users to enjoy maximum power from each of the 120-volts outlets. Users choose between operating at 120 volts only or 120 and 240 volts simultaneously. The volt meter allows users to monitor the machine’s output range at all times.
The machine is ideal for job sites where technicians need to power saws, drills, and other equipment. Individuals can also use the portable generator to power appliances during power outages, therefore ensuring your appliances and devices are running smoothly without interruptions.
Key features of the DuroMax XP4400E Portable Generator
- Durable 7 HP OHV 4-Cycle gas-powered engine.
- All Steel 4 Gallon Tank- At half load, the generator runs for 8 hours on a full tank.
- 3500 Starting Watts /4400 Watt Surge.
- Electric Key Start (includes a battery in the package).
- 8-inch knobby all-terrain Wheel kit with front handle for easy movement.
- Automatic low oil shut off that prevents damage to the engine.
- Multiple outlets- Two 120 volts, 20-amp and three prongs, one 120/240 volt, 30-amp twist lock, one 12 volts and 10-amp utility.
- Automatic voltage regulator.
- Voltage meter to monitor output range.
- DuroMax RV Switch/ Voltage selector.
- Lightweight- weighs 120 pounds.
- Quiet muffler reduces noise levels-
- The machine is EPA approved with a 69 dBA rating.
- 1 (one) year limited warranty.
- The generator is cost effective and a terrific bargain.
- Electric key start (easy to start just like a car)
- EPA Approved.
- Quiet operation.
- 4-gallon fuel tank and powerful gas motor.
- DC charging capacity.
- Not ideal for large equipment
- Not CARB compliant.
Should you buy this portable generator?
The DuroMax XP4400E is an ideal portable generator for job sites and home emergencies.
Though the machine is not the best for large equipment, it has various unique features to support power needs.
With a runtime of 8 hours at half load and multiple outlets, the generator is ideal to keep your appliances running before power outages are resolved. The machine is a terrific bargain!
- Your purchase includes One DuroMax XP4400E 4400 watt 7-Hp RV Grade Gas Generator with Electric Start, One oil funnel, One spark plug wrench, tools set, wheels and handle kit, DC charging cables and...
3. Honda EU2000i Review- Best Quiet Inverter Portable Generator
The Honda EU2000i 2000 watts is a super quiet inverter generator that can provide reliable power to households. This portable generator is a machine from Honda, a company that has excelled in producing durable generators and other machines.
If you are looking forward to a camping expedition, the Honda EU2000i is an ideal choice among camping generators. The super quiet inverter power station produces 53-59 decibels of sound during a normal operation. The machine uses the Honda GX 98.4 cc engine with a 0.95-gallon tank capacity and has a up time of 8.1 hours on one fuel tank.
The Honda EU2000i is lightweight, and it weighs 46 pounds, making it one of the most portable generators in the market. Despite its small size, the generator can produce clean and reliable power similar to that of a standard household outlet using inverter technology, as evidenced by its superb starting watts and running watts stats.
The Honda Oil Alert protects the generator from being damaged by turning off the machine once the oil level reaches dangerously low. Also, the circuit protection prevents overloading during operation. The generator is a pull start only, and it is quite easy to start and maintain.
Unique Features of Honda EU2000i Portable Generator
- Lightweight-weighs 46 pounds only!
- Super quiet- 53-59 dBA Noise level making it ideal for camping.
- Honda GX 98.5 cc engine.
- Fuel efficient- runs for 8.1 hours on one tank of fuel.
- Eco Throttle- the technology adjusts engine speed to match the actual load.
- Honda Advanced Inverter Technology- results in clean power that is safe for all sensitive appliances.
- Parallel Operation – Two EU2000i generators can be linked to double the load capacity to serve several appliances simultaneously.
- Honda Oil Alert- shuts off the generator when the oil levels are dangerously low as to damage the machine.
- The machine has a starting watts of 2000 watts with a running watts output of 1600 watts.
- 12v DC Outlet ideal for charging batteries.
- Starting system-recoil.
- Voltage-120 volts.
- EPA and CARB Compliant- can be used in all US states including California.
- 3-year warranty.
- Lightweight- 46 pounds.
- It is quiet- 53-59 dBA.
- Fuel efficient.
- This machine produces clean power.
- The 2000 watts might not be enough for use in multiple equipment.
- Adapters bought separately.
Should you buy the Honda EU2000i?
The Honda EU2000i stands out as one of the best portable power station in the market today and has passed reliability and fuel-efficiency tests.
Though not the cheapest 2000 watts generator in the market, it beats other competing brands with its combination of unique features and technology that makes it a superior portable generator.
- This popular model can operate a wide variety of appliances, making it perfect for portable use at home, camping, on the jobsite, or much more. Reliable Power is now at your fingertips with Honda's...
4. Yamaha EF3000iSEB Review
Yamaha EF3000iSEB is another ultra-portable inverter generator with superior performance and a combination of unique features. It competes relatively well as one of the best camping generators. It is super quiet, fuel efficient and very reliable.
The generator has a 79 cc 4-stroke OHV engine and the machine has 1600 watts rated AC output and a 2000 watts maximum AC output. The power produced is enough to power a camping fridge, microwave oven, RV, refrigerator, lights and job site equipment. The machine can also supply power during natural disasters and emergencies.
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB portable generator’s inverter system has a tested Pulse Width Modulation technology that creates clean and secure energy that will not damage sensitive home appliances, high-tech devices or job site tools. The machine is CARB compliant and used in all states in the United States.
The super-quiet muffler (51.5 dBA at ¼) with USFS-approved spark arrestor gives a super-quiet experience making it an ideal option as the best camping generator. The machine is also suitable for use during fishing and other outdoor recreational activities.
The EF3000iSEB also includes the Smart Throttle feature that is a load sensing rpm control. The feature allows for greater fuel efficiency and noise minimization by adjusting the engine speed to match the exact load. The generator has a run time of 10.5 hours at ¼ rated load on a full tank of gas.
Features of Yamaha EF3000iSEB Inverter Generator
- Twin Tech Parallel Generator Operation – If you need extra electricity to power your appliances, the EF3000iSEB allows you to connect two generators to double the power up to 30 amps. The connection requires a Twin Tech Cable (purchased separately) to double the electricity.
- Oil Watch Warning System- This system prevents engine damage that may be caused by low oil level, therefore minimizing downtimes and costly repairs. The system cautions against human error when you might forget that the generator was on, especially due to its long run time and super quiet nature.
- Electrical Overload Breaker- Prevents generator damage that may be caused by a power overload, a nice feature to keep in mind.
- Air cooled OVH Engine– the Yamaha EF3000iSEB comes with an advanced gasoline powered Overhead Valve Engine (OVH) that provides the needed mechanical energy to produce electricity, to power home appliances and equipment. OVH engine is efficient, reliable and powerful and ensures a long generator life and excellent heat dissipation.
- EPA and CARB- compliant – the EF3000iSEB model produces clean emissions, and Yamaha generators have the longest emission engine durability ratings issued by EPA and CARB.
- 10.5 hours run time at ¼ rated load.
- Auto-decompression system- Reduces compression for easier starting.
- Auto-warm up – this feature increases engine speeds during cold starts to handle high power demand appliances immediately.
- Fuel gauge to monitor fuel levels.
- Grip handle for easier movement and transport.
- DC outlet – 8A 12Volts for charging batteries.
- Oil Watch Warning System to prevent engine damage due to low oil levels.
- Three years limited warranty.
- Lightweight and compact – weighs 44 pounds.
- Fuel efficient- Smart Throttle features improved fuel economy.
- Long run-time of 10.5 hours and ¼ rated load.
- Super quiet – Noise level of 51 dBA-61 dBA. One of the quietest watt generators you’ll see out there.
- Environmentally friendly – EPA and CARB compliant.
- It is expensive.
- Limited power output.
Should you buy the Yamaha EF3000iSEB Inverter Generator?
The Yamaha EF3000iSEB is one of the most popular portable inverter generators in the market.
Among the features that make this model an excellent option include the long run of 10.5 hours on a full tank, whisper-quiet experience, environmentally friendly and fuel efficiency.
The machine is lightweight and a good choice if you are shopping for the best portable generator for camping or RV.
- The Boost Control Unit (BCU) senses when extra power is needed and boosts output for up to 10 seconds
5. Champion Power Equipment 46539
The Champion Power Equipment portable generator is a powerful and reliable generator that can be used at construction sites and also as a backup power supply for homes and businesses. The machine is also ideal for use in campgrounds, outdoor parties, and RVs. This generator is CARB approved.
The generator is RV ready and equipped with a standard 30 amps RV outlet that is enough to start and run a 15,000 BTU RV air conditioner. The unit produces 3500 running watts and 4000 starting watts. The generator has a run time of up to 12 hours on a full gasoline tank at 50% load. The Cold Start Technology optimizes the generator to start easily even during winter.
The machine has three power outlets that distribute power to multiple appliances. The outlets include 120V 30A locking, 120V 30A RV and 120V 201. Volt Guard secures these outlets by protecting appliances from a power surge. The power is adequate to power various devices such as television, computers, air conditioner, refrigerator, and power tools without interruption.
Just like other expensive portable generator models, the generator has an Electric Remote Control Start. As such, users can control the machine even from a distance of up to 80 feet away. A battery is also included for an easy push-button electric start. The remote control feature makes it ideal for construction sites. The generator incorporates safety features such as oil sensor, overload protection, and volt meter.
A durable steel frame, a folding handle, and the two 8-inch never flat wheels allow for easy movement and transportation of the Champion Power Equipment 46539. Also included in the box is a bottle of engine oil. Once you buy this generator, you only need to supply gas to get started.
Features of Champion Power Equipment 46539
- The generator is EPA and CARB compliant.
- Wireless Electric Remote Control Start that works from a distance of up to 80 feet away. The box package includes a remote battery. If the clicker fails, users can use the pull-start lever to start the engine.
- 3.3 gallons tank engine that runs up to 12 hours on a full tank at 50% load.
- RV Ready- the 30 amps RV outlet is adequate to start and run a 15, 000 BTU RV air conditioner.
- 196 cc Champion single cylinder OHV engine with automatic low oil shut-off sensor powers the machine.
- 3500 starting watts rated and 4000 running watts peak output.
- Three outlets- 120V 30A locking, 120V 30A RV and 120V 20A.
- Total weight is 140 pounds, and the dimensions are 29 x 21 x 21.
- The equipment has safety features such overload protection, a low-oil sensor, and a voltmeter.
- The Cold Start Technology optimizes the generator to start during cold weather.
- Two years limited warranty.
- The Remote Electric Control Start allows users to start the engine from a distance.
- EPA and CARB compliant.
- Long run time of 12 hours.
- Pull-start level option if the remote control fails.
- Cold start technology supports the generator during winter.
- Highly portable.
- Low noise level.
- Lacks a 240 volts outlet.
Should you buy the Champion Power Equipment 46539?
If you are looking for the best portable generator that is CARB compliant and incorporates superior features such as cold start technology, remote control start and 12 hours run time, the Champion 46539 is the best option.
Not forgetting that this model is one of the quietest watt generators and it is also packed with safety features such as an oil sensor and overload protection to prevent damage to the engine.
- WIRELESS REMOTE START: Start and stop with ease from up to 80 feet away with the included wireless remote key fob – push-button power and convenience like never before
6. Generac 6866 iQ2000 Portable Inverter Gas Generator
The Generac 6866 iQ2000 is the ideal inverter gas generator for powering various activities such as campsites, road trips and backyard parties. The generator’s digital inverter converts raw power from DC to AC power and can be connected to sensitive appliances and devices.
Unlike other gas powered generators that are known to be too loud, the 6866 iQ2000 is specially designed to perform in a calm manner, and you can use it as a backup power source for your home or business. You can also use the generator can as a backup energy source during vacations and the best camping trips.
The generator is easy to operate and comes with unique features such as the LED display, PowerDial, and PowerBar. The LED display on the control panel allows users to monitor the current fuel level and the remaining run-time. Conversely, the PowerDial feature simplifies the machine’s start, run and stop functions. Through the PowerBar, users can monitor the wattage produced by the unit.
A unique Turbo/Standard/Economy switch can be employed to control the noise levels and fuel consumption.
The unit set up takes less than 5 minutes, and users can get to work immediately. The unit’s manual is user-friendly, and it does not take a techy to work that around.
Features of Generac 6866 iQ2000 Portable Inverter Generator.
- Uses Generac UHV Engine that has three modes of operation i.e. Turbo, Standard and Economy that allow users to control fuel consumption and noise levels. Users select the mode that fits their needs.
- It is portable- the unit weighs 46.2 pounds only.
- 1600 Running Watts and 2000 Starting Watts.
- Ultra-quiet- the generator has been third party tested and proven to be quieter than other competing models.
- LED Display – the display allows users to monitor the status of the generator from one location. The LED dashboard shows the battery life, fuel level and the remaining run time.
- Unique Alternator- the unit has a digital inverter that converts power output from DC to AC.
- Power Dial- this feature simplifies the generator’s Start, Run and Stop functions.
- Parallel Ready- Users can double the power by connecting two iQ2000 inverter generators.
- Long run time for such a small unit- The unit has a run time of 7.7 hours at 25% load.
- CARB Compliant.
- Easy to set up and use – the set up takes less than 5 minutes.
- Lightweight – weighs only 46.2 pounds.
- Quiet and clean – the third party tested and is proven to be quieter than other competitor models.
- Build Digital Inverter that converts DC to AC power.
- Cannot power multiple appliances simultaneously.
Should you buy the Generac iQ2000 Portable Inverter Gas Generator?
The Generac iQ2000 is a high-tech and reliable portable inverter gas generator that is ideal for powering backyard parties, camping trips and tailgating events. This model is easy to use and incorporates various innovative features lacking in other portable inverter generators.
The unit has a digital inverter that converts raw power from DC to AC and can be connected to different appliances at home and during outdoor events. Due to these innovating features and 7.7 hours run-time at ¼ load, we highly recommend the iQ2000 inverter generator.
- AC Rated Output(Running/Starting): 1600/2000 Watts; AC Rated Voltage: 120V
7. DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator- Best Dual Fuel Generator
The DuroMax XP4850EH Propane Generator is a unique and powerful portable generator that utilizes both gas and propane to produce energy used to power appliances.
The distinct feature of the XP4850EH model is the DuroMax Dual Fuel Technology. The technology can double the lifetime of your generator by running on the cleaner burning propane from a BBQ tank.
The use of propane in generators has various advantages over other types of fuel including the ease of storage, long-lasting and being readily available even during disasters. Also, propane allows for a quicker and steadier start every time.
Use the DuroMax XP4850EH dual fuel generator as a backup source of power at home and businesses especially during power outages and emergencies. The unit produces a constant 3850 watts and a peak of 4850 watts. This generator can adequately power most household items such as lights, refrigerator, TV and other necessities.
This portable generator comes with a fuel switch that ensures easy switching between gas and propane.
The unit comes with various safety features that prevent damage to the machine. These features include the advance oil warning light, low oil indicator lamp, voltmeter, power output panel and circuit breaker.
Features of DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Generator.
- Uses either propane or gas.
- Fuel switch that allows users to choose the type of fuel to use.
- Comes with a 212 cc, 7 HP air cooled DuroMax OHV engine.
- Has an electric starter that is more convenient than a manual starter.
- Heavy duty frame with 4 point fully isolated motor mounts for smooth and quiet operation.
- Rated AC output is 3850 watts while the Maximum AC output is 4850 watts.
- Installed Safety features – including advance oil warning light, low oil indicator lamp & shutoff, volt meter, and circuit breaker.
- The Generator has EPA approval for safe use in National Parks.
- Dual fuel capability allows users to use either gas or the cleaner propane depending on their preferences.
- Easy to use – the unit comes completely assembled (except the handle and wheel kit).
- Includes all necessary accessories such as propane regulator, connecting hose, funnel, and several other tools.
- Fuel economy – unit uses little fuel.
- Can be noisy especially on heavy loading.
Should you buy the DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Electric Start Portable Generator?
The DuroMax XP4850EH is an ideal choice for outdoor events as well as a backup power source during power outages.
Its dual fuel capability makes it an excellent choice for anyone who plans to use either gas or propane and this feature doubles its lifetime without requiring frequent maintenance. Also, this dual fuel generator has a unique design, safety features, and power. We highly recommend DuroMax XP4850EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator for camping.
- Plenty of Power – With 4,850 starting watts and 3,850 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
8. A-iPower SUA2000iV 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
The first noteworthy thing about this generator is that it is an inverter. RVers have, for long, favored inverter generators over conventional generators as the best camping generators. This is major because of its better stability and low THD level for clean power.
Besides that, what strikes first with this power station is that it most likely is the cheapest 2000W quiet inverter generator on the market. Being a new brand and offering a portable power station at such a price tag, it is only natural to be skeptical about its quality, especially with tested and trusted 2000W inverter generators from established brands like Honda or Yamaha.
While the A-iPower SUA2000iV is not better than a 2000W Honda generator like the Honda EU2200i, you must keep in mind that the Honda EU2200i costs approximately three times the former. As such, the difference in performance is expectable. Nevertheless, for someone unwilling to pay the high costs for the honda eu2200i or its contemporaries, the A-iPower SUA2000iV would appeal more than sufficiently. A more suitable rival is the WEN 56200i.
Key features of A-iPower SUA2000iV Generator
- Starting watts of 2000W and running watts of 1600W
- It runs on a single-phase, 120vac, 60hz, manual start 79cc senci engine
- Easy to start with a dial on the front panel
- Lightweight at 46 Ibs
- Noise level of 58dBA
- Low idle technology further extends runtime by adjusting engine speed depending on the load
- 30-amp RV adapter among other outlets
- 2-year warranty
- Very affordable
- Acceptable weight of about 50 pounds
- Low oil shutdown and fuel gauge for convenience and to avoid damage
- Very quiet
- At 75% load, noise levels escalate to about 68dBA, which is relatively loud for a contender of the best camping generator
Should you buy this portable generator?
There’s bound to be an initial apprehension before purchasing this product since it is not well known, and the price is exceptionally low. But despite this, the A-iPower SUA2000iV seems to hold its own conveniently against 2000W equivalents from established brands. The quality is top-notch, and the customer reviews have been majorly positive. In terms of affordable, functional, and high-quality inverter generators, the A-iPower SUA2000iV sits comfortably among the best.
- Produces 2,000 starting watts with 1,600 running watts of clean and safe power for sensitive electronics such as phones, televisions, laptops, and other electronics
9. Champion 3400W Dual Fuel Inverter Generator
Say hello to the self-christened king of fuel efficiency. Portable inverter generators on the market seldom come with two options for fuel types, however, this gasoline or propane-powered generator provides not only the rare feature of a twofold fuel operation, it also ultimately maximizes the portable inverter generator’s run time up to 20 hours when collectively used.
Besides its twofold fuel capacity, RV-ing has never been as much easier and enjoyable when this camping generator is in performance. Many customers easily rate it as one of, if not the best generator for camping. With manufactures keeping RV enthusiasts in mind, they managed to create a camping generator that is fully RV-ready. It being 100% RV-ready implies that it meets certain power needs – of which the Champion dual fuel generator boasts of capacity to run RV air conditioners of BTU up to 15,000, also with a convenient 120V 30-amp RV outlet. Talk about portable power!
Does this camping generator meet up to its standing, and what camping generator pros and cons can you expect to get? Good camping generator reviews sufficiently answer these fundamental questions, and that that is exactly what we did below.
Key features of Champion 3400W Dual Fuel Inverter Generator
- Durable dual liquid propane gas or gasoline capability. Propane connection is connectible via an enclosed connection cord to a BBQ-type propane tank.
- This is a 192cc Champion single-cylinder OHV engine-powered generator.
- Meets the portable power requirements demanded of the best camping generators with starting watts and running watts of 3400W and 3100W, respectively.
- Eco friendly with 3% or less THD
- One of the quietest portable camping generators on the market at only 59dBA noise level
- It uses a 1.6-gallon fuel tank and a full tank of gas, expecting a run time of about 11 hours on an estimated load of 500W. You can equally hook up the generator to a 20-pound propane tank, which will last for a significantly longer time.
- The manufacturers provide a 3-year limited warranty with excellent customer service
- Quiet generator, perfect for a camping trip
- Easy to carry and switch between fuel types
- Convenient customer service and Company Warranty
- Wheels don’t get along with rough surfaces or grass
- Solar powered generators are getting increasingly popular. We hope to see a solar panel or two on a solar generator equivalent of this in the near future.
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
10. WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
Most of us are already familiar with the WEN brand. A company known for delivering high quality and reliable products at affordable prices. And, of course, the WEN 56235i 2350-Watt inverter generator is no different.
This generator is just right for buyers looking for small, nimble, and efficient inverter generators for backup or outdoor recreational activities like tailgating, camping, and the likes. RV enthusiasts are well aware of the struggle to power up their A/C’s as most generators capable of such are typically large, and noise levels are off the charts. The WEN 56235i 2350-Watt generator fits in perfectly as an ideal camping generator. RV enthusiasts can rest assured this lightweight camping generator can run their RV A/C, even when it’s not running at full RPM, and still be relatively quiet!
Key Features of the WEN 56235i Portable Inverter Generator
- Runs with a 4-stroke 79cc OHV engine with fuel tank measuring one Gallon
- Produces running watts of about 1900 and surge watts of 2350
- On a full tank of gas and 50% load, expect this camping generator to power your appliances and tools for up to 5.7hrs and 10.5hrs at quarter load
- Noise level: 51dBA
- Lightweight at 39Ibs, ideal for a camping generator
- A handle for convenient movement
- 2 AC outlets, 1 DC outlet, and two 5V USB ports
- Fitted fuel gauge and fuel shutoff feature
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Fuel shutoff feature depletes need for continuous maintenance
- Lightweight design
- Economy mode ultimately saves costs that we spend on gasoline
- Operating the power station at altitudes over 2,000 feet away, you may have to purchase a high altitude kit separately for proper performance.
- We also hope to see a solar powered version of this in the near future.
Should you buy this portable generator?
This budget-friendly camping generator does the job exceptionally from power generation and stability to build quality and features. Customer reviews are almost always positive, and they back it up with a 2-year warranty. Fuel economy is optimum with the economy mode switch engaged, and the portable design only further ensures convenience. Overall, a great value steal for its price.
- Ultralight body weighs in at a mere 39 pounds for easy transport and storage
Types of Generators to Consider
Portable generators are those that can be moved easily and used to provide electricity without plugging into electrical grids. The majority of users utilize them as a backup power source during power outages and also powering backyard parties, camping trips and RVs.
They provide adequate power for TVs, lights, refrigerators, kitchen appliances, construction site power tools and other AC-powered tools.
Most camping generators are gasoline powered, but there are others that run on diesel, propane or natural gas. Others have dual fuel capabilities, and users can use either gas or propane. Stabilizers must be added to store gasoline safely.
Portable generators are typically smaller than stationary generators and deliver 1000 – 8500 watts. Most camping generators cost less than $1000, unlike stationary generators that cost above $2000.
Stationary (Standby) Generators
Standby generators are large and deliver between 8,000 to 40,000 watts. They cost more and require an experienced electrician to install.
These units start automatically once the power goes off and stop when power resumes. Standby generators supply more power than camping generators and can keep all electrical appliances in operation during emergencies and power outages. They are commonly used to provide power to factories, hospitals, and large offices do their huge power supply.
Inverter generators have an inverter placed between the generator and power output. They convert the produced raw power from DC to AC power and controlling output voltage and frequency to prevent damage to sensitive electrical appliances. They deliver 1000-3000 watts of clean power that is adequate to power lights, TV, smartphones and other appliances.
Inverter power stations are the quietest camping generators and are known to be fuel efficient. Under low load, the engine is made to run at low speeds, therefore reducing fuel consumption and noise levels.
Apart from powering home appliances, these generators are ideal for camping trips, backyard parties, tailgating, and RVs since they are lightweight, have low noise levels and produce clean power.
Dual Fuel Generators
Dual fuel generators combine the convenience of using either gas or propane to power the generator. They give users the advantage of using one type of fuel when the other is limited in supply especially during emergencies and winter.
These generators have a fuel switch that they can use to change from gas to propane and vice versa.
What Other Aspects Should Buyers Consider?
Apart from the features discussed above, there are other factors that buyers should consider when choosing the generators that meet their needs. Here are a few tips that will help you in making a proper decision:
Power Outage Power Supply
If you are looking for a camping generator to solve your emergency power needs, first determine your power needs that the generator will solve. You may use a wattage calculator to determine the amount of wattage you are looking for in a generator.
Do you aspire to power the entire house or just a few electronics? What are the wattage needs of your appliances?
If you want a generator that will back-up the whole house including all the appliances, then a standby generator will be the best option for you. A standby generator has a higher wattage than a camping generator and most appropriate for large power needs.
However, keep in mind that if you only want to have a backup source of energy for a few electronics, then a portable inverter generator is most appropriate. Portable inverter power stations are small and provide clean energy that will not damage your appliances. They are also the quietest portable generators, and you can carry them along to the camping trips and excursions.
Outdoor Events Power Supply
If you require a portable generator suitable for use in fishing, camping, and tailgating, an inverter station is the best choice. Portable Inverter power stations are lightweight and produce clean energy that is safe for all electronics. They convert raw power from DC to AC power that can be used to power all electronics including smartphones.
Construction Site Power Supply.
Construction sites require a portable yet handy generator that can power the various tools without any hitches. Such a generator should have adequate running and peak watts to serve several tools. Other features such as flat free wheels, remote control start, cold start technology, durable cage, auto-idle technology and long run time are ideal for a construction generator.
You may also like: